Since 2011, the National Broadband Map has been a vital tool for consumers, businesses, policy makers, and researchers by providing an easy- to-use and searchable way to find out who is offering broadband, what types of broadband they are offering, and where they are offering it. But the mapping platform has become dated, as has the coverage data, which was collected through the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s (NTIA) State Broadband Initiative (SBI); the last published SBI data set was current as of June 30, 2014. Based on the age of the data, and the underlying technology, the National Broadband Map and its Application Program Interface (API), will be decommissioned on December 21, 2018.
Recognizing the value of broadband data visualizations, the Federal Communications Commission released a new Fixed Broadband Deployment map in February 2018 to display new data collected by the FCC from carriers on FCC Form 477, which is updated twice annually. Like the old map, the new map provides key information about broadband deployment for consumers, policymakers, researchers, economists, and others.
The new Fixed Broadband Deployment map, maps of Mobile Broadband and other maps and resources are available at:
Fixed Broadband Deployment map and resources:
Mobile Broadband maps and resources:
- 20Th Mobile Wireless Report, Web Appendix I: Coverage Maps at https://www.fcc.gov/20th-mobile-wireless-report-web-appendices. Maps include:
- Nationwide Mobile Wireless Coverage, Year-End 2016
- 3G or Better Mobile Wireless Network Coverage, Year-End 2016
- Nationwide LTE Coverage, Year-End 2016
- LTE Coverage by Number of Providers, Year-End 2016
- Mobile deployment data for map creation at https://www.fcc.gov/form-477-mobile-voice-and-broadband-coverage-areas
FCC maps, including maps that visualize broadband and health data, track pirate radio enforcement, and display LTE coverage, are also available on our maps page at https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/.
NTIA’s State Broadband Initiative (SBI) data download at https://www2.ntia.doc.gov/broadband-data.
Any questions or comments should be directed to email@example.com.